Saturday, March 7, 2009

Can Spring be far behind?

Woke this morning to the sound of the Red-winged Blackbirds and Bluebirds. Such an encouraging sound in these gloomy times. The thermometer never dropped below freezing last night and is well above 40° as I write. The snow is vanishing and leaving behind the usual soggy ground. As you can see from the photos of the barnyard and meadows (snapped
this morning by me in my bare feet on the side lawn) there is a long way to go before the grass will beg to be cut.

The horses are still cleaning up most of the hay I throw in the feeder but it is pretty obvious that they are looking forward to the first green shoots. After doing a mental count of the number of bales left in the loft I too am hoping that the grass will come in sooner rather than later. I may well be buying 50 more bales just to give myself some peace of mind. I'm hoping that 'himself' will bring the tractor up either today or tomorrow to clean out the barnyard.

We've had a couple of coyotes hunting in the meadows over the last several mornings. I'll post pics later. They look very healthy due in good part to the plethora of moles, voles, mice and rabbits that this farm supports.

I've also been keeping a watch out for signs of a Bobcat crossing our meadow . So far no luck but will continue to watch.

As to knitting content. No pictures right now but I have finished two preemie hats to take to Michelene's Preemie Party at the end of March. She is trying to amass a good number of hats for the NICU at Albany Medical Center. The onlyrequirement is that we knit ONLY with washer/dryer proof yarn. I had forgotten how much I HATE nylon/acrylic yarns.

The Tomten Jacket is close to completion and is about as cute as a bug's ear. I'll be off to find a zipper for the front closure but not sure where to go. It's been years since I've bought a zipper for anything. I'll bet the last time was when the kids were small .... well over 30 years ago. Yikes!! Tempus Fugit !!

'Himself' just appeared to alert me to the flock of 40 to 50 turkeys that have just wandered through the yard.















No comments:

Post a Comment