Monday, April 26, 2010

RAISED BEDS

The weekend was billed to be lovely on Saturday and marginal on Sunday. For once the forecast was mostly accurate. On Saturday afternoon we headed up to the patch armed with a brush cutter, several large black plastic garbage bags, felco clippers, leather gloves and shear dint of will. Syd cut brush along the roadside and I pulled Garlic Mustard. I'll add a photo of it later.
It was a 'hands and knees' task! Lots of crawling under branches, clipping MultiFlora Rose canes , etc to give me access to the miserable ubiquitous invasive. Over the course of the afternoon I filled one bag to the very top.

Yesterday I pulled more Garlic Mustard. This time along the roadside opposite Katherine Porter's house. There is plenty more to pull next to where the old barn foundation was located. I'll have to get to it this week as it is in bloom and I really want to get it up before the seeds are set.

On a happier note I took a photo of the Cornus Florida (below) that is about to bloom !! How exciting to have a wild native dogwood growing on our patch !!! Last fall I planted three very small Cornus Florida at the base of the hillside behind the garden. Happily they weathered the winter very well.













Syd picked up a pallet of topsoil & 30 bags of compost at Leonard's. We filled up one of the beds and I'll do the second bed some day this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment